Jonquil Trio by Demian
- “Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves. … When they deliver you over, do not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say, for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour. For it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.”
- Matthew 10 - Jesus authorizes his disciples to cast out
evil spirits, and to heal all disease and illness.
- “Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better.”
- The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “If there is no struggle, there is no progress.”
- Frederick Douglass
- “When I dare to be powerful – to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.”
- Audre Lorde
- “The time is always right to do what is right.”
- The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “You can’t lead the people if you don’t love the people. You can’t save the people if you don’t serve the people.”
- Dr. Cornel Ronald West, American philosopher, political activist, social
critic, author. Quote from “Hope on a Tightrope : Words and Wisdom.”
Weekly services held on Sundays at 10:30 am.
Worship is followed by a shared community meal.
All Are Welcome: Immigrants, Refugees, Muslims, Jews, LGBTQ.
All are Beloved of God.
Peace, Shalom, Salaam.
Note from Rev. Angela Ying
On Sundays, our community will be together — via the computer program, Zoom — to worship God as a beloved Bethany United Church of Christ community, safely from your home. Thank you for staying home, and not coming to our church sanctuary. For Zoom instructions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org during the week.
Before we worship, here is what you can still do:
- Email your joys and concerns as prayer.
- Pray for yourself, your loved ones, and the world.
- Continue to be wise in keeping a safe distance, eating, sleeping, and staying well
- Call or email the church office if you need pastoral care, or assistance.
- Mail your contribution to Bethany to build community.
- Know you are Beloved.
- Give thanks you are alive through God’s gifts of music, meditation, dance, joy, reading, exercise, deep breathing, gratitude.
- Use your imagination and creativity.
Thank you Bethany United Church of Christ. Together, we will persevere in being the healthy, vibrant, strong, and loving congregation God calls us to be.
Grace and peace be with you, as we work together for good, knowing God’s steadfast love endures forever.
Pastor Angela Ying
- Sunday, March 22, 11:30 pm
Worship and Communion. .
Other Events of Note
Pray without ceasing. Bethany Church prays, as we grow beloved community, for all in our community of faith, our neighborhoods, city and country, others countries and all of God’s Creation.
We pray for peace amidst war, love amidst hate, compassion amidst despair, courage amidst fear. We pray for all of our sisters and brothers here and around the world, especially all who are sick, lonely, anxious, fearful, struggling, homeless, unemployed and healing and wholeness, grace and strength for the day.
Prayers for the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe protesting the Dakota Access Pipeline that will run through and destroy Native American burial landmarks and sacred spaces of our First Nation People.
Special prayers for our brothers and sisters in Haiti, Cuba, Florida and the Atlantic Coast affected by Hurricane Matthew causing deaths, massive infrastructure damage and numerous people needing to evacuate their homes. Prayers for our sisters and brothers in Syria, especially in war-torn Allepo.
Seattle Rent Control Petition
This petition calls for universal rent control, free of corporate loopholes. The rent control campaign has been endorsed by at least 12 organizations, such as the SEA, the union representing Seattle’s public school educators. Bethany, and our campus partners, have endorsed rent control. Everyone has a right to shelter and an affordable home. All are Beloved.
Related article by Rev. Ying:
“Sweeps are for litter, not for living and loving human beings”
Our beloved Bethany Church community shines by standing in solidarity with our migrants, who have the human, and legal right, to seek refuge in America.
To reach all, call 206-725-7535, or write to email@example.com
- South and Central Migrants Rapid Response Network
Faith and community leaders from around the city gather monthly at Bethany United Church of Christ to teach “Know Your Rights,” and to support immigrants, refugees, and migrants by standing up to every day injustices. -
- Standing Alongside Our Muslim Sisters and Brothers
Bethany Partners with Muslim Association of Puget Sound
#Repeal the Ban. No Ban Act!
- Creating Cards
To send cards to our thousands of asylum-seeking neighbors who have recently fled extreme violence in Central America, to build new lives in the United States. -
Contact: Jared Howe
- Collecting Blankets, Gloves, Hats
Please help fill our boxes with new and lightly-used warm clothing, for our homeless sisters and brothers. - Contact: Jermecia Jackson
- Help 80 Seattle Families
Our Christmas Gifts program, in partnership with our sister church, University Congregational UCC. - Donations Contact: Pastor Angela Ying
- Renewing Pledges and Financial Support
Help promote justice, loving kindness, and to walking humbly with God, here in our church, communities, and around the world! - Contact: Bernice Cade
- Post-Worship Services Community Meals
Join us preparing our weekly meal. - Contact: Tate and Theresa Anderson
Further Immigration Resources
Northwest Immigrants Rights Project (NWIRP)
Sunday - 10:30 am
Worship and Music followed by a Shared Meal in the church sanctuary and hospitality room. Be renewed, refueled, reinvigorated for the week, by the grace of God in growing Beloved Community. All are welcome.
Refugee Women’s Alliance (ReWA)
ReWA Preschool Headstart Program
For toddlers to pre-K, Half Day and Full Day
Sliding scale, based on income.
Black Power Epicenter Cooperative
Rainier Valley Cooperative Preschool
New Campus Partner working with Bethany
on Climate Justice.
Black Power Epicenter Cooperative (BPEC)
Led by Senait Brown and Gary Kinte Perry, as well as
many young community leaders, together with their
mentors from People’s Institute, Freedom School,
and Bethany United Church of Christ.
Leadership Training for Youth and Young People
Youth Undoing Institutionalized Racism (YUIR)
Ending the Prison Industrial Complex (EPIC)
Meets in the church annex.
YUIR and EPIC are led by Senait Brown,
community leaders and mentors..
Bethany United Church of Christ continues to work in community
Friday and Saturday
partnership with our Muslim brothers and sisters of Muslim
Association of Puget Sound (MAPS), alongside our Buddhists
brothers and sisters, and all people of faith, as well as no faith.
Falun Gong, Buddhist and Taoist teaching and meditation.
Samoan Choir practice
Church and Community Meetings, Gatherings, Discussions and Public Forums
About Bethany (in Brief)
Bethany United Church of Christ’s vision in seeking to be God’s Beloved Community on earth, come from the prophetic words of Micah:
What does God require of You? To do justice, love kindness and walk humbly with your God.
Refugees and immigrants welcome here. No ban. No wall. Stop the deportations.
You are Beloved! I am Beloved! We Are Beloved! All Are Beloved of God!
Each and every one is needed in growing Beloved Community. Please support our social justice and ministry at Beloved Bethany with a donation of any amount to: Bethany United Church of Christ. You and your generosity and kindness are making a difference in our community and around the world. Thank you for giving generously.
NOTE: Throughout the year, Bethany Church will be leading in “Share the Gift of Love,” providing for our neighborhood children. Please bring new, or lightly used, men and women’s gloves and scarves. Please let pastor Angela Ying know if you are willing to participate and help.